Sunday, March 21, 2010

My College Experience Through Music

Alright, so really there's 6 weeks left of it still, but I don't think that's any reason why I can't post a retrospective yet. I love making lists, no doubt, so here's my favorite artist that I discovered from each year of college I've had.

Freshman Year: Regina Spektor


Thanks to VH1's You Oughta Know Artist feature, I was introduced to Regina. She is all one could ever ask for. Her songs are storytelling, she paints pictures, instead of just singing about feelings like everyone else. Not only that but she does things with her voice that others can't and won't. If you haven't tried her, run to iTunes right now. I am delighted to say I have her entire discography, even the hard to find Songs album (got it from Amazon marketplace) and I love how every single song she has is so different from not only her own library but everyone else. There is none like her.
Top 3 Favorite Songs: Blue Lips, Braille, Carbon Monoxide

Sophomore Year: A Fine Frenzy


On my summer birthday before I went back to school that year I was lucky enough to see Rufus Wainwright in concert. It was amazing, wonderful, fabulous, etc. And opening for Rufus was A Fine Frenzy, who happened to not be a band at all but the girl by herself on the piano. She was wonderful live, and when I returned to school I sought out and bought her CD. She has a unique feel to her music, a sort of fairy tale natural forest quality that she says she likes to bring about in her music, and it really shows. It makes one want to go outside and be free as well. She's recently released her second album, which is also quite nice. Her music is lovely along with her voice.
Top 3 Favorite Songs: Rangers, Electric Twist, You Picked Me

Junior Year: Lady Gaga


I don't think anyone needs reminding on how amazing she is. This woman is the breath of fresh air we need. She's a revolution for pop and I want to ride the wave of change with her. Her costumes, her videos, her performances, all of it is, as she says, an art piece. If you haven't given her a chance yet, go straight to her album Fame Monster, my favorite of her two so far, but I so cannot wait for more. Please bring it on, Gagaloo.
Top 3 Favorite Songs: Bad Romance, Paparazzi, Teeth

Senior Year: The Bird and the Bee


I'd like to thank TamZin for this one, who played them several times for me before I couldn't take it any longer and needed to have them too. They have such a wonderful ethereal sound to them, both spacey and magical at the same time. If one could visualize the sound, I would say it's a whimsical combination of the retro and the futuristic coming together, sort of in the way that past imaginings of the future from the 50s and 60s look. I'm sounding weird, but what I love about them is the imagery that comes into my mind when I listen to them. It makes me want to draw so many things. Own their discography, I had trouble picking favorites from their many lovely choices.
Top 3 Favorite Songs: Again and Again, Polite Dance Song, Man

No comments:

Post a Comment